top of page
  • Postal Admin

Postal ALC 2 - AC Mill Inn Academy 4 - Div 2 East - Webster Park - 16/4/22

TEAM - 1. R.Laing 2. S.Stuart 3. P.Coutts 4. S.Carter 5. J.Black 6. K.Dowbekin 7. S.Robertson 8. M.Hunter 9. A.Allan 10. M.Maciver 11. R.Insch 12. S.Cotovici 14. G.Davidson 15. G.Cormack 16. I.Bruce 17. C.Patterson


Postal kissed goodbye to their lingering hopes of winning the league this season with a defensive horror-show at Webster Park.

With Patterson, Riddell and Nicolson all missing, Stuart came in at right back, Coutts on the left, Carter into centre back alongside John Black. Dowbekin was dropped back into midfield and Insch returned to the starting line-up alongside Maciver and Andy Allan (making his debut) up front.

Postal started pretty well but it was the young away side who had the first chance to go ahead. Coutts slipped on the Postal left which gave Mill Inn a one-on-one with Laing. The keeper did well to block the shot and put it out for a corner.

When it came back into the box, Black was deemed to have tripped an Academy player in the box and the ref gave a pen. Soft but probably correct decision. The pen taker struck it well, low to the keeper’s left, but Laing did very well for Postal to palm it round the post. Another good save from Laing.

Postal were struggling to get their passing game working. Stuart and Maciver were doing well up the Postal right but apart from that too many passes were going astray and giving the ball directly back to the opposition.

Mill Inn took the lead on the 18th minute with a defensive shambles from Postal. A simple enough ball into the Postal 6 yard area, crossed in from the Postal left. Keeper Laing shouted but never came, Carter took a fresh air swipe at the ball, Keeper palmed the ball into the feet of the waiting striker who had an easy task of passing into the net. 0-1.

On 22 minutes the Postal sideline were screaming for a pen when Black was bundled to the deck in the opposition box but the ref waved play on.

Postal were looking a lot better now and starting to get a hold on the game. One 27 minutes a free kick into the box was met by Robertson but his header sailed over the bar.

On 33 minutes Postal equalized. A cute free kick from Maciver found Stuart who had run past him into the box. Stuart’s cross was bundled over the line by the hard working Dowbekin. 1-1.

No more than Postal deserved at this point but only 3 minutes later they pressed the self destruct button again.

Another simple ball into the box from the Postal left. Laing somehow managed to knock out for a corner rather than clear or pick it up. Corner came in, opposition player standing with nobody marking him headed down to another player with nobody marking him who then scored. Real shambolic schoolboy defending and criminal lack of concentration and organisation. 1-2.

Two minutes later and Postal were back on level terms. Hunter was bundled down in the box by the Mill Inn keeper and he did well to pick himself up to slot the pen away. 2-2.

With the game looking like it would be a draw at half time Postal sold the jerseys again. A throw in around 30 yards from the Postal goal was taken by Mill Inn on the Postal right. Postal had a couple of chances to either clear or pass the ball but did neither. Mill Inn player took a pot shot from distance. Laing got a hand to it but it went in off the post. 2-3.

A half which had saw Postal dominate the play saw them going in a goal down and 3 goals shipped but hopes were still high they could respond.

HALF TIME – POSTAL ALC 2 – AC Mill Inn Academy 3

The second half was a major disappointment all round. Postal huffed and puffed and dominated possession and play but never really showed enough quality to break down the young defense.

Their best chance came on 31 minutes when centre half Carter burst into the box and got a shot away. When the ball fell to Cotovici 6 yards out it looked like an equaliser all day long, but just as he was about to pull the trigger a defender did well to nick the ball off the striker’s toe.

With Postal now three at the back and pressing for the equaliser they sold the 4th with 5 minutes to go. Black trying to jockey the ball back to the keeper, keeper didn’t come, Mill Inn player won the ball, passed to his teammate (looked offside) who scored. Game over. 2-4.

Overall the effort probably couldn’t be questioned today but the quality, particularly in the second half, wasn’t there. Too many goals “gifted” today without the away side having to work too hard to score them was disappointing to say the least. With 5 games to go, the title is now gone, but we need to, at least, make sure we get promoted out of this league. Next game Bon Accord away.

56 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page